New Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen says Fulham must spend in the January transfer window to give themselves a chance of staying in the Premier League.
Meulensteen was placed in charge on Sunday following Martin Jol’s sacking after five successive defeats left the Cottagers 18th in the table.
“Everyone needs to realise we must invest,” Meulensteen said.
“We need to look how we can strengthen this squad to ensure Fulham stay in the Premier League.”
Jol was appointed Fulham manager in June 2011 but was dismissed on Sunday after a poor run of form left the club three points from safety.
Cottagers chairman Shahid Khan said fans deserved better and former Manchester United first-team coach Meulensteen has assumed fellow Dutchman Jol’s responsibilities ahead of Wednesday’s home match with Tottenham.
The 49-year-old was only appointed head coach to work alongside Jol last month after 12 years working under former United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.
“People can think what they want, but it definitely was not the case that I came in to take over,” Meulensteen said.