It is 47 years today since second tier Fulham went to Goodison Park and stunned the Division One league leaders – knocking Everton out of the FA Cup at the fifth round stage thanks to a brace from Viv Busy. The highlights from a memorable afternoon on the Whites’ remarkable road to Wembley – as well as Busby’s interview with Brian Moore on the following day’s Big Match – are below.

Alec Stock called this win Fulham’s ‘finest hour’ – although, of course, he couldn’t envisage what was to follow. Following four games against Nottingham Forest in third round, the Whites were superb in front of Goodison Park’s second highest gate of the season. Everton headed the First Division on goal average, having been the country’s draw specialists in the first half of the campaign, but shot themselves in the foot in the first half. Busby combined with Jimmy Conway to put Les Barrett clear down the left flank. The winger’s low cross looked like meet and drink for goalkeeper Dai Davies, but full back Roger Kenyon crashed into his keeper, sending the ball trickling towards the line. Busby had a simple tap-in from a yard out. The Whites might have gone two up had Clive Thomas not wrongly chalked off Conway’s goal for offside after a corner had fell for him off John Hurst.

It looked like that controversy would prove costly when Kenyon made amends for his earlier blunder by heading in a corner. The Toffees were galvanised by the equaliser and might have gone ahead but for the charitable award of a foul on Peter Mellor by Mick Lyons. It is the sort of infringement that would be whistled for nowadays, but goalkeepers had far less protection then. Lyons forced home the loose ball after initially heading against John Lacy on the line – but Thomas disallowed it. The Welsh official would make himself even more unpopular with the blue half of Merseyside when he overruled his linesman to chalk off Bryan Hamilton’s winner against Liverpool in the 1977 semi-final.

Fulham went back up the other end of the field and scored a legitimate second. Conway burst to the byline and crossed for Busby, who spurn and shot low into the far corner beyond Davies’ despairing dive to secure a famous victory. The majority of the more than 45,000 in attendance weren’t quite as thrilled, however, with Everton fading badly in the second half of the season to ultimately finish fourth as the Whites went all the way to Wembley.