Fulham are preparing an initial £8m offer for Crystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle, who looks set to leave Selhurst Park by the end of the transfer window, according to the Daily Mail.
The Whites had initially inquired about the possibility of a loan move for the former Peterborough forward, who is keen to stay in the capital, and spent a couple of hours looking around Craven Cottage after the pre-season friendly between the two sides earlier this month. Palace are believed to be holding out for a figure of around £10m for the 24 year-old, but Fulham are reportedly very confident that their offer of £8m with additional clauses attached will be successful.
Gayle has fallen behind new Eagles signings Patrick Bamford and Connor Wickham in Alan Pardew’s pecking order and has already rejected to chance to join Bristol City after the Championship new boys had an offer worth up to £8m accepted on Monday. Gayle scored 10 goals in 29 appearances for Palace last season but struggled to attain a regular first-team spot and is eager to move on as Pardew revealed in his latest pre-match press conference.
He came and saw me at the start of the season to express a view to move elsewhere. ‘I said, “OK, that’s fine with me, we’ll try to get you a club.” Now there is a club and he’s reluctant to go. The ball is very much in Dwight’s court.
Dwight last year was a little bit not involved in the first team. It’s difficult to fit him into the way I play. He came to see me and said he would like to move on. Dwight can play in the Premier League, but having said that, Bristol City are a great club. A club with momentum.
The owner wants to push up to the Premier League. That decision isn’t mine. That’s Dwight’s decision. We aren’t going to force anyone to go anywhere they don’t want to go. It’s about the boy understanding what the best scenario is for him. At the moment, it’s not here.