Select Page

Rene Meulensteen maintains Fulham already have enough quality in their squad to avoid relegation, even if fail to bring in any of their transfer targets.

But the Dutchman will not be making any more comments over potential new recruits like he did with West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison.

West Ham reported their west London rivals to the Premier League following comments from Meulensteen after his side’s FA Cup replay win over Norwich on Tuesday, where he revealed a bid had been made and claimed Morrison wanted to move to Craven Cottage.

The Dutchman was understandably cautious to say any more on the matter at his press conference on Thursday afternoon ahead of the trip to Arsenal.

Fulham are currently in 16th, but just a point above the drop zone following last weekend’s 4-1 home drubbing by Sunderland and could do with some reinforcements.

Meulensteen, however, insists if no business can be done this month, then they will just have to get on with it.

“Yes I think we have enough quality in there. Not only that, but there’s been great application by the lads. I can’t fault the application and the desire these boys show every day in training,” Meulensteen said.

“I am still trying to find the right cards, but I have seen a lot of positive things.

“If we become more solid, we have already proven we have got enough going forward.

“With the introduction of some younger players, you can already see there is quality and energy there.

“They are not the finished article, but you can throw them in when you have to.”

Meulensteen, though, will not be drawn on who else might be on Fulham’s radar.

When asked about any targets the club might have, he said: ”I am not going to make any comments on (transfers) because it is going to get me into trouble.

”It is wiser at this moment in time that we are not going to comment on anything that is happening in regards to any transfer news or speculation.

”Things are in hand with the club, with (chief executive) Alistair Mackintosh.”

With Morrison’s contract at West Ham still having 18 months remaining, the east London club’s complaint is likely to surround Premier League rulings which relate to a club making an approach for a player under contract or the player, or his representative, approaching clubs in the hope of instigating a possible transfer.

Asked if there had been any formal communication from the Premier League, Fulham’s communications director Sarah Brookes stated: ”We have only seen what you have seen. Up until anything further can be said, we will be making no further comment.”