Select Page

ulham have moved to replace Dimitar Berbatov by completing the signing of Greece striker Kostas Mitroglou.

Berbatov has been allowed to travel to Monaco for a medical ahead of a potential loan move to the Ligue 1 side.

The Cottagers have replaced him with the highly-rated Mitroglou, who has moved to Fulham from Olympiacos for an undisclosed fee

West Ham were interested in signing Mitroglou, but the 25-year-old has opted to move to Craven Cottage instead.

Mitroglou has signed a four-year contract with the west London club.

The striker began his career in Germany, but moved to Olympiacos in 2007.

He has enjoyed a superb season so far, scoring 14 league goals in the Greek Super League.

In total the forward scored 62 goals in 148 appearances for Olympiacos.

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen will hope that Mitroglou can fill the void left by Berbatov, who has struggled for form recently.

Berbatov joined Fulham in August 2012 and enjoyed a successful first season with the club, scoring 15 goals.

This season has been a different story for the Bulgarian, however.

He has found the net just four times in the Barclays Premier League and his agent indicated that his client was unhappy at Craven Cottage shortly after the sacking of Martin Jol.

A move back to Spurs, where he is adored by the club’s fans, would have been an ideal scenario for Berbatov.

But a transfer to Monaco would still be a good move for the former Manchester United man.

Berbatov was due to undergo a medical at Monaco, who sit second in Ligue 1, on Friday afternoon.

If he passes that, he will sign on loan until the end of the season, when his contract with the Cottagers expires.

Fulham have been one of the busiest clubs in the market on deadline day.

The west London club snapped up Lewis Holtby on loan until the end of the season and have also lodged a bid for Swansea defender Neil Taylor.

The Cottagers also announced on Friday morning that defender Aaron Hughes had joined Sky Bet Championship club QPR on a free transfer.

Fulham FC statement Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Greece international Konstantinos Mitroglou on a four-and-a-half year deal for an undisclosed fee, seeing the player at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2018.

The 25-year-old striker arrives in West London from Olympiakos where he has netted 14 times in this season’s Greek Super League, making him the league’s top goalscorer.

Mitroglou started his career in Germany before moving to Olympiakos in 2007 where he made 148 appearances, scoring 62 goals, in six seasons. He helped his team to three Super League titles, three Greek Cups and one Greek Super Cup.

On the international scene, Mitroglou has scored eight goals in 28 appearances for his country. He scored three crucial goals in Greece’s two-legged World Cup Qualifying Play-Off victory against Romania last November, sending his nation to this summer’s 2014 World Cup Finals in the process.

Mitroglou made history as the first Greek player to score a hat-trick in the UEFA Champions League, notching all three goals in this season’s 3-0 win away at Anderlecht in the Group Stages.

“I’m very happy that I’m here in the Premier League, and especially with Fulham which is a major club in the league,” Mitroglou told the official website. “I’m here because I want to fulfil the Club’s targets and I want to help the Club achieve their goals. I was really flattered that they wanted me so badly and I’m really happy to be here.

“I’m really happy that I will work with RenĂ© Meulensteen. I know that he has a lot of experience in football. He explained to me how he works and I am really looking forward to working with him.

“I also spoke to Giorgos [Karagounis] before I came here and he told me only the best things about Fulham.”