Darren Bent scored his first goal since October as Fulham claimed a 1-1 draw at fellow Premier League strugglers Norwich in the FA Cup third round.

After wasting an earlier chance, Bent nodded past the stranded Mark Bunn.

Norwich had started brighter and drew level on the stroke of half-time through Robert Snodgrass’s header.

Canaries record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel should have scored with a header after the break but neither side could force a winner to avoid a replay.

The clubs had met in the Premier League as recently as Boxing Day when Fulham claimed a 2-1 win thanks to Scott Parker’s late goal, but this was their first clash in the FA Cup for 106 years.

As expected, the managers made a raft of changes after a hectic Christmas schedule. Among those was a first start for Clint Dempsey in his second spell with Fulham after re-joining on a two-month loan deal from Major League Soccer side Seattle Sounders.

The Canaries had enjoyed the better start at Carrow Road, with Josh Murphy shooting over from outside the penalty area and Johan Elmander firing a rebound a foot wide of the post.

Despite Norwich’s pressure, the best chance of the early stages saw Cottagers’ striker Bent played through on-goal by Pajtim Kasami only for goalkeeper Bunn to deny him.

Bent was not to be kept out 10 minutes later as he rose above the flat-footed Bunn to head Fulham into the lead. The effort was the Aston Villa loanee’s first since he struck the only goal in the top-flight meeting with Stoke on 5 October.

Norwich had controlled the first half and were not behind for long. Snodgrass capitalised on some poor goalkeeping from ex-Ipswich loanee David Stockdale after excellent wing-play from the dynamic Murphy to stoop down and nod in the equaliser.

Stockdale excelled after the break, however, as he pulled off a tremendous low stop to keep out a header from Van Wolfswinkel, who was making his first start since October following a toe injury.

Snodgrass then came close to a second as his free-kick rippled the side-netting.

Norwich continued to look the most likely to score in the final stages, but Steven Whittaker’s low effort across goal agonisingly evaded the touch of a team-mate to ensure the relegation-threatened pair had to settle for a cup draw.

NORWICH CITY (4-3-3): Bunn; Whittaker, Olsson, Bennett, Martin; Fox, Garrido, Snodgrass; Elmander (Redmond 67), Josh Murphy (Jacob Murphy 79), van Wolfswinkel. Subs (not used): Ruddy, Gafaiti, Hall-Johnson, Becchio, Hooper.

GOAL: Snodgrass (45).

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Stockdale; Zverotic, Amorebieta (J.A. Riise 70), Hughes, Burn; Boateng (Christensen 70), David; Kasami, Kacaniklic (Plumain 45), Dempsey; Bent. Subs (not used): Joronen, Dejagah, Rodallega, Dembele.

BOOKED: J.A. Riise.

GOAL: Bent (40).

REFEREE: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire).