Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has pleaded with Fulham to let him make his dream move to Arsenal before the transfer window slams shut at the end of the month.
The veteran goalkeeper, who turns 38 later this year, has been targeted by Gunners boss Arsene Wenger as he seeks a solid and dependable last line of defence.
Manuel Almunia has been unable to stamp his authority on the position with back-up option Lukasz Fabianski also failing to impress when called upon.
Australia international Schwarzer has impressed hugely since joining the Cottagers from Middlesbrough in 2008, helping the West London side reach the Europa League final under Roy Hodgson last season.
With Hodgson having departed for Liverpool over the summer and Mark Hughes appointed in his place, former Middlesbrough No.1 Schwarzer has held talks with the new man at the helm in a bid to resolve his future.
“I need it to happen,” Schwarzer told the Australian Daily Telegraph.
“I’ve had a couple of chats with Mark [Hughes]. It’s delicately poised.
“Who wouldn’t be keen to go to Arsenal? At this stage in my career it’s an amazing opportunity to play at that level and one I really want to take.
“It’s taken a long time and the season’s very close. On one hand you understand them not wanting to disrupt too many things but I want things resolved as quickly as possible.
“Only time will tell whether that happens or not.”
There had been suggestions that Schwarzer would boycott Fulham’s Premier League opener at Bolton on Saturday in a bid to force the move through.
And while the experienced shot-stopper admits he could miss out this weekend through injury, he scotched suggestions that he would refuse to play if selected.
“I have never sat out a game [to prove a point] and never would,” Schwarzer said. “But it needs to be resolved sooner rather than later.
“I’m not sure whether I’ll play [for Fulham] on the weekend. I’ve got a few little injury problems but we’ll have to wait and see how I pull up when I return to London.”