Reading through today’s match previews, there are a few interesting stats that have caught my eye:
- Fulham have conceded fewer goals in the league than Arsenal this season. This is the most impressive part of Hodgson’s progress – think back to the Arsenal defence of Adams, Keown/Bould, Dixon and Winterburn and perhaps more relevantly how regularly we conceded goals under Coleman and Sanchez. It’s a measure of how far we’ve come.
- The worry is scoring goals. We are still only on four in the league – and one of those was a penalty.
- Arsenal have scored more headers than any Premier League team this season. We’ll have to keep an eye for the likes of Diaby, Vermaelen, Gallas and co at set plays.
- Arsenal haven’t lost three away games in the league since December 2006, when they were beaten 2-1 at the Cottage. Brian McBride and Tomasz Radzinski scored the goals on a memorable night by the Thames.
- Nobody has had more shots at goal – 16 – without scoring in the Premier League than Clint Dempsey. Let’s hope he can rectify that today.