Crystal Palace midfielder Ben Watson’s proposed move to Middlesbrough has been thrown into doubt after a second Premier League club, understood to be Fulham, have told the club they are willing to match the Riverside club’s £2million offer.
It has been that the Craven Cottage club has made contact with Selhurst Park officials to inform them they are prepared to table a £2m bid of their own for the talented midfielder.
Watson’s SE25 exit now looks certain after Palace accepted a £2m bid from Gareth Southgate’s side on Wednesday.
However, his destination is now unclear after the west London club confirmed their interest in the 23-year-old and it is known that Watson would prefer to stay in London.
Eagles boss Neil Warnock refused to comment on which club is willing to match ‘Boro’s bid – but did confirm that another Premier League side had been in contact with regards to Watson.
He said: “Another Premier League club has come in for Ben – so the deal with Middlesbrough is far from being completed.”