Fulham completed their preparations for the new season with a hard-fought draw against Eredivisie outfit, Feyenoord. Goals from Tomasz Radzinski and Claus Jensen cancelled out a brace from Dirk Kuyt.

The match was played in sweltering conditions and it was testament the fitness levels of both teams that the game continued at such a high pace right up until the closing stages. The sensible addition of a drinks break midway through each half also helped keep the match moving.

Ruud Gullit’s side took full advantage of a slow start from the Whites by opening the scoring within the first five minutes. Kuyt was put through one-on-one with van der Sar amid suspicions of offside. However, the flag stayed down and the Feyenoord man coolly lobbed his effort over the advancing Fulham goalkeeper.

Fulham almost struck back immediately when Andrew Cole got his head to a fine cross by Carlos Bocanegra after the American had made good ground down the flank. Cole’s header crashed against the post and rebounded back to the striker, who could only improvise with his follow-up effort which rolled wide.

Collins John next came close to equalising on 12 minutes after he created an opportunity for himself and fired a shot goalwards from a wide angle. His effort forced a good save from Gabor Babos.

Fulham drew level on 21 minutes with a great goal from new signing Tomasz Radzinski. The impressive Claus Jensen did well to beat his man in midfield and play a pinpoint pass wide to Radzinski. The Canadian used his pace to good effect by cutting inside his marker and hitting a ferocious shot which deflected in off the ‘keeper.

John was then denied once more after some neat Fulham play enabled the young Dutch striker to run on to a through pass. His shot was met with an excellent stop from Babos.

With only a minute remaining the home side retook the lead from the penalty spot after Ian Pearce was punished for a ball-to-hand incident in the area.

The referee’s decision was met with a strong protest from Sylvain Legwinski who was consequently booked for dissent.

Kuyt converted the spot kick successfully, although van der Sar managed to get a hand to the shot.

Whilst the first half was a fairly even affair, the Whites took a firmer grip of the game in the second period.

Just two minutes into the half, Cole caught a defender napping in possession and scampered towards goal. Only a last ditch recovering tackle from the red-faced defender prevented Cole from hitting the target.

Radzinski and Jensen then successfully linked up for Fulham’s second of the day – with Radzinski turning provider on this occasion. The Canadian flicked the ball over his marker and put Jensen through with a well-weighted pass that left the Dane with only the ‘keeper to beat. Jensen maintained his composure and coolly picked his spot.

Cole embarked on a fantastic run on 62 minutes that took him from the half way line to the edge of the penalty area, unfortunately his pass to Jensen was cut out by the last defender. It was a fine piece of play from the veteran and he was perhaps unfortunate not to have created the winner.

Sylvain Legwinski and Mark Pembridge both went close in the final stages before the pace of the game slowed drastically.

FULHAM (4-4-2): van der Sar; Volz, Bocanegra, Pearce (Knight 45), Goma; Legwinski (McKinlay 84), Jensen (Pembridge 65) , Diop (Rehman 69), Radzinski (Bonnissel 80); Cole (McBride 69), John.