Former Fulham assistant manager Steve Kean is staying at the Sky Blues, despite an approach to assist Luis Felipe Scolari at Chelsea, according to a statement issued by Coventry City FC today.
Steve Kean has committed himself to the club after the Chelsea appraoch.
Kean arrived at the Sky Blues in January as assistant manager to Chris Coleman, who he had previously worked with at Fulham.
The Scot enjoyed a six-year spell in Portugal as a player and admitted that while an approach has been made to work under Scolari – who will join Chelsea when his current role with the Portuguese national side expires after the European Championships – he will continue to assist Coleman in transforming the Sky Blues’ fortunes.
“There was someone acting on behalf of Scolari who contacted me about a role at Chelsea,” explained Kean who has also coached at Reading.
“I was very honest and explained that I’m under contract on a very exciting project at Coventry.
“I immediately phoned Chris (Coleman) and Ray (Ranson) to tell them about it and told them why I thought Chelsea had contacted me.
“I can speak Portuguese, I’ve got a lot of experience in the Premier League and I suppose I tick the boxes of what they’re looking for to help Scolari get started over here. That’s probably where it has come from.
“I have to say I was very flattered by the approach but the simple fact is I’m at Coventry and we are just getting started on something very exciting.
“When Chris and I first sat down with the Chairman before we started at the Club, he told us all about his plans and it was very exciting.
“Those plans are starting to come together now with the redevelopment of the training ground and new players coming in.
“We’ll be starting a busy pre-season soon and I’m looking forward to working with the players and getting ready for a new season I’m very excited about.”
Chris Coleman lost his job at Fulham after refusing to axe his backroom team, according to a report in The People this morning.
Coleman was called to a meeting in Covent Garden on Tuesday night and told he must part company with Dave Beasant and Steve Kean in a bid to help avoid relegation, but when he stayed loyal he was sacked instead.
Ironically, Coleman’s successor Lawrie Sanchez reinstated his former Wimbledon team-mate Beasant when he took charge, but there was no way back for Kean who joins Coleman out in the cold.
Fulham supporters had called for Coleman’s exit after the team’s shocking display in the 3-1 defeat at home by Manchester City on Monday.
His position had come under even more intense scrutiny after problems in his private life became headline news.
Chris Coleman claims he has the full backing of Fulham chairman Mohamed Fayed — but insists he would rather quit than change his backroom staff.
Boss Coleman is under pressure as he heads for Liverpool tonight on the back of three straight defeats and with Fayed having axed two club directors in a cost-cutting cull.
And a defiant Coleman, who has clashed with directors in his support for assistant manager Steve Kean, is adamant he will not accept any meddling.
He said: “While I’m at this club, my No 2 will be Steve Kean and my goalkeeping coach will be Dave Beasant.
“I’m more than happy with my management team.
“They haven’t become bad at what they do in the space of three games.
“There’s been a reshuffle in the boardroom and it’s been linked with me and my backroom staff.
“Coupled with the fact we have lost three games, everyone is starting to ask questions.
“But I’ve always had the full backing of the board and it’s fine. My relationship with my chairman and the board remains good.”
Coleman is the longest-serving of Fayed’s seven Fulham managers after almost three years as boss.
And the Welshman has no regrets about slaughtering his team for an abject display in Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Everton.
He said: “You are either strong enough to get through these periods or not — and if you are not, we all know what happens.
“I’ve been favourite to be the next manager sacked for the last three years.
“I don’t tell lies or makes excuses. I don’t like to talk like a politician.
“The last two performances against Arsenal and Everton have been unacceptable.
“It’s pointless me camouflaging how poor we were.
“I’m embarrassed by our away record and so are the players.
“Liverpool will be rubbing their hands knowing we haven’t won away all season but we have to stand up to them.”
Fulham captain Luis Boa Morte has been urged to overlook his disciplinary problems and carry on tackling.
The 28-year-old has been booked seven times this season and red carded once, against Saturday’s opponents West Brom in the corresponding fixture back in December.
His fiery temper surfaced once again in the 4-2 defeat to Manchester United last week, and Fulham’s assistant manager admitted that the side had to change their tactics to stop their skipper from being sent off again.
However, Kean has insisted that the Portuguese star’s biggest asset is his controlled aggression, and he does not want to see him change his approach.
“With Boa, his natural enthusiasm makes him go for balls 100 percent to win,” Kean explained.
He is not a guy you would ever see going over the top, but what we had to do at Manchester United once he was booked was to move him out of central midfield to a wide position to keep him out of the way.
“But we don’t want to take anything from his game. He is a very good captain who leads by example.
“He is not a fantastic shouter in terms of ordering people about, but he wants to get the ball back quickly for the team and create something in the final third, so sometimes he gets himself a little bit excited. We often lose him through suspension but when you look at his tackles they are not nasty.”
Fulham assistant manager Steve Kean feels the side fielded against West Brom should have been strong enough to secure safe passage into the fourth round of the League Cup.
The Whites selected only three of the side that beat Liverpool on Saturday and got off to the worst possible start when Robbie Earnshaw opened the scoring after just three minutes. Luis Boa Morte equalised in the second half but Fulham appeared to be out when Tony Warner’s failure to control a backpass from Papa Bouba Diop allowed Kanu to easily restore Albion’s lead. Heidar Helguson did head a late leveller but former Fulham midfielder Junichi Inamoto knocked his old side out with a stunning extra-time strike.
Kean was upset when he spoke to the media afterwards: “We thought we fielded a team that could beat West Brom considering they were at Bolton last Sunday. So we are very disappointed to go out of the competition. The manager is looking at the video of the game now. He’s not happy because we feel we should have had a penalty for handball at 2-2.”
Fulham started with only three of the players who beat Liverpool last Saturday and were a goal down in three minutes when Robbie Earnshaw latched onto a through-ball by Inamoto.