Select Page

Tunnicliffe banned for two games after ‘sausage boy’ tweet

Ryan Tunnicliffe has been handed a two-game ban and fined £5,000 after admitting an FA charge of aggravated misconduct by reference to sexual orientation after tweeting an offensive message directed at the former Middlesbrough striker Patrick Bamford.

Tunicliffe tweeted the following Middlesbrough’s play-off final defeat by Norwich City:

Happy that Middlesbrough didn’t go up, just for the main fact that @Patrick_Bamford is a sausage boy

The message has subsequently been deleted from the 22 year-old’s Twitter account. He will now have to attend a mandatory education course.

Fulham’s own brief statement on the matter added:

The Club, which has a zero tolerance policy for anti-social behaviour of any kind, can also confirm that it will be taking action against Ryan for his unacceptable actions. 

The former Manchester United midfielder, who joined Fulham last January, made two appearances under Rene Meulensteen before being loan to Wigan Athletic. He enjoyed a successful spell at Blackburn Rovers after being considered surplus to requirements by Felix Magath before Kit Symons recalled him from loan duty and restored him to Fulham’s midfield. Tunnicliffe made 24 appearances for the first team last season and also captained the club’s under-21 side.

Tunnicliffe charged by FA

Fulham midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe has been charged with aggravated misconduct by reference to sexual orientation after he tweed comments about Middlesbrough striker Patrick Bamford.

The former Manchester United midfielder has until next Thursday to respond, and faces the same fate that befell ex-Chelsea defender Robert Huth in January.

Huth was banned for two games and fined £15,000 for comments he made on social media related to gender reassignment.

He admitted breaching Football Association rules by interacting with a Twitter account that asked users to guess the gender of individuals in explicit pictures.

The FA said the offence was “an aggravated breach” due to the subject.

Huth agreed to complete a mandatory education course, and missed the matches at home to QPR and away at Newcastle.

Depending on the outcome of Tunnicliffe’s case, he could also be light of pocket and miss the first two games of next season.

Fulham fined by FA

Fulham FC has been fined £5,000 following an FA charge of misconduct.

The charge was that the club failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour in or around the 19th minute of their fixture against Nottingham Forest FC on 17 September 2014.

That was when the Ref said Shaun Hutchinson had fouled Michail Antonio in the box and gave Forest a penalty and booked Shaun Hutchinson. Dan Burn also got booked after the protests by Fulham players.

The penalty left Fulham two nil down after 20 minutes but they then went on to lead at 3-2 before collapsing in a 5-3 defeat. Manager Felix Magath was sacked the following day.

Fulham admitted the charge and accepted the standard penalty of £5,000.

Riether hit with FA charge

Fulham’s Sascha Riether has become first player to be retrospectively charged by an FA panel for his challenge on Manchester United’s Adnan Januzaj.

The German defender appeared to stamp on Januzaj in the last minute of Fulham’s 3-1 defeat to United, but the incident was not seen by referee Lee Probert or his assistants.

Previously Probart would have been asked to review all available footage of the incident and then ask what action he would have taken had he seen it.

But in a pilot project, an FA panel of three former referees – Steve Dunn, Eddie Wolstenholme and Alan Wiley – make a ruling on what they believe the official would have done had he seen it.

For an FA charge to follow, all three panel members must agree it is a sending-off offence. In the instance of Riether, the panel were of the unanimous decision that it was an act of violent conduct.

The defender has until 6pm on Tuesday to respond to the charge.

An FA statement said: “Fulham’s Sascha Riether has been charged by the FA for violent conduct following an incident which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video during his side’s game against Manchester United on November 2 2013.

“The charge is in relation to an incident involving the defender and United’s Adnan Januzaj which occurred in added time of Saturday’s match at Craven Cottage.

“Riether is the first player to have been charged retrospectively by the FA under a new pilot project for potential ‘not seen’ incidents in Premier League matches.

“Previously, where the match officials had confirmed to The FA that none of them had seen an incident, the match referee was then asked to review all available video evidence before being asked what action, if any, he would have taken had it been seen.

“Under the new process, if an incident has not been seen by the match officials, a three-man panel of former elite referees Steve Dunn, Eddie Wolstenholme and Alan Wiley will be asked by the FA to review it and advise what, if any action, they believe the match referee should have taken had it been witnessed at the time.

“The panel were of the unanimous decision that it was an act of violent conduct.”

Lewington to join England set-up permanently

The Football Association has reached an agreement with Fulham for Ray Lewington to join the England coaching staff full-time, according to Goal.

The governing body will pay off Lewington’s rolling contract with the Premier League club to bring to an end his seven-year spell in west London.

Sources have told Goal.com that negotiations are now complete and Lewington should be shortly confirmed as the third permanent member of the backroom team.

The FA announced on May 4 that Lewington had been appointed Roy Hodgson’s No.2 for Euro 2012 on a short-term contract 24 hours after Goal.com revealed that the governing body had made an official approach to Fulham.

Hodgson was always keen for his right-hand man during his three-year spell as Fulham manager to join him on a full-time basis.

However, the FA had to tread carefully because of the sensibilities involved in Lewington being employed by a Premier League club.

There was not the same concern with Gary Neville, who signed a four-year contract to be part of Hodgson’s coaching team last month, although the former Manchester United player will continue his punditry duties with Sky Sports.

Lewington has coached at almost every level during two lengthy periods on the Fulham coaching staff and is currently the club’s Head of Coaching, with particular emphasis on developing young players.

He re-joined Fulham in 2005 after spells as manager at Watford and Brentford but feels the opportunity to work for the national team is too good to turn down.