Martin Jol says Bobby Zamora is set to start Fulham’s opening game of the season against Aston Villa on Saturday despite being left out of the England squad.
Zamora broke his hand whilst playing for Fulham in the Europa League last month and, although he has returned to training wearing a cast, Fabio Capello decided not to include him in the England squad for Wednesday’s friendly against Holland. Jol told Sky Sports News that the 30 year-old was perfectly able to lead to the line and would be in his starting line-up this weekend:
“It is good. It was a disappointment for him to drop out of the squad but Fabio Capello told me as well that he was restricted. He could see that he had a different view but that is all in the business.”
Jol was non-committal on whether Fulham would be bringing in a new striker before the close of the summer transfer window.
“I think we’ve got a good squad so hopefully we can do the same as what they did before and be in the top ten. We always like to strengthen the squad so we are looking.”