Fulham have completed an audacious deal to sign Cameron international André Frank Zambo Anguissa which could be worth as much as £27m. The transfer remains dependent on the midfielder being granted a work permit.
The deal to sign the powerful defensive midfielder, who has enjoyed two stellar years in the south of France since being signed from Reims’ second string, looked liable to collapse twice earlier this afternoon – firstly, over a dispute about solidarity payments to the midfielder’s former clubs and then when West Ham attempted to try and tempt Anguissa to east London.
According to reports in the French press this evening, Anguissa had his medical in Marseille – watched by Fulham employees – and the clubs had to apply for an extension as protracted negotiations over the structure of the deal dragged on. Anguissa established himself as a key member of the Marseille side that reached last season’s Europa League final with a number of composed displays as a deep-lying midfielder, but the French club successfully managed to double Fulham’s opening bid of around £14m.
Anguissa leaves Marseille having made 104 appearances in three seasons and fits Slavisa Jokanovic’s mould of a strong defensively minded midfielder – the type of signing he was calling for in the aftermath of the Whites’ final pre-season friendly against Celta Vigo. Fulham have now broken their club transfer record for the second type in a month after signing Ivorian international Jean-Michael Seri from Nice earlier this summer.
Anguissa, who has won eleven senior international caps for Cameroon, has put pen to paper on a five-year contract. He told Fulham’s official website tonight:
I am delighted to have signed for Fulham today. This is a new chapter in my career and one I’m really looking forward to. I hope to bring my qualities to this new project. I like a challenge and I will ensure that I give my very best to my team, the Club, and the supporters.
Fulham’s head of football operations, Tony Khan, also added:
I’m thrilled to announce that Fulham Football Club has signed André Zambo Anguissa. André’s tremendous data profile, his glowing scouting reports, and his sterling reputation confirm his world class talent. Throughout this summer, we’ve pursued elite players on whom we believed we could rely to deliver the quality required to challenge the great competition we’ll face in the Premier League, and thus, Andre has been one of our top targets.
Fulham have confirmed the signing of Manchester United defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah on a season-long loan deal.
The versatile 20 year-old defender, who can operate as a right back, in the centre of defence or in central midfield, has arrived from Old Trafford to gain more Premier League experience following his loan spell at Crystal Palace last season. The Dutch international made 24 appearances for the Eagles as Roy Hodgson’s side comfortably avoided the drop – and he could be considered to start against the south London outfit in Fulham’s first game of the season at Craven Cottage on Saturday.
Fosu-Mensah remains highly rated at United, whom he joined from the Ajax academy at the age of sixteen, and he has made 21 senior appearances for the Red Devils. He told Fulham’s official website this evening of his delight at finalising his latest loan switch:
I have a good feeling about the Club. It has a nice history, it’s a nice Club. Fulham has a lot of good players, and it’s good for my development to be here. I spoke to the Manager and he gave me a good feeling. I’m happy to be here and I want to keep progressing.
Fulham’s vice chairman and head of football operations, Tony Khan, commented:
I’m pleased to announce that Fulham Football Club has signed Timothy Fosu-Mensah on loan from Manchester United. Timothy is a gifted young defender who excels at multiple positions, and his addition will further reinforce a strong and promising squad that we have assembled to compete in the Premier League.
Fosu-Mensah’s arrival will boost Slavisa Jokanovic’s defensive options ahead of the new campaign. He is unlikely to start ahead of Calum Chambers and Tim Ream at the heart of the defence, but provides an experienced alternative to Irish international Cyrus Christie at right back.
Fulham have taken Atletico Madrid forward Luciano Vietto on a season-long loan, the club have confirmed this evening.
The 24 year-old striker spent part of the last two seasons on loan with Valencia and Sevilla and was also part of the Atletico Madrid side that reached the Champions’ League final and finished third in La Liga. He has struggled for game time despite teaming up with Diego Simeone, the manager who gave him his first taste of professional football at Racing Club in Argentina, and was eager to gain a taste of English football.
Vietto told Fulham’s official website tonight:
I’m very happy to come to the club and sign. I’m very excited to get started with the team tomorrow. It’s an important change for me because this is my first experience here in England. I hope to do as well as possible.
Fulham’s vice chairman and head of football operations, Tony Khan, said:
I’m pleased to announce that Fulham Football Club has signed Luciano Vietto on loan from Atlético Madrid. Luciano is a versatile young attacking player, and he has already gained great experience against elite competition in La Liga. Luciano is a very addition and we’re very excited that he has joined the club.
Fulham have completed a deal to bring in left back Joe Bryan from Bristol City for a fee believed to be around £6m.
The Whites’ swooped for one of the Championship’s most impressive full backs last night – which might Bryan’s proposed move to beaten play-off finalists Aston Villa collapsed in acrimonious fashion. The Premier League new boys had identified Bryan, who had an excellent season as the Robins narrowly missed out the play-offs, as one of their potential targets earlier in the season and return to sign the 24 year-old after it became clear that Southampton were unwilling to allow Matt Targett leave St. Mary’s.
An attack-minded full back, Bryan has made more than 200 senior appearances at Bristol City and famously scored the opening goal as Lee Johnson’s side beat Manchester United in the League Cup quarter-final last term. His arrival means that teenage sensation Ryan Sessegnon can continue to play as a left winger and Bryan, who was part of the Bristol City side that won promotion from League One and the Football League Trophy in 2014/2015, is in line to make his Fulham debut against Crystal Palace this weekend.
Bryan told Fulham’s official website:
Playing against Fulham the last couple of years, the style of play has really stood out to me and it will suit me. The opportunity to play in the Premier League is one you can’t turn down as you may never get it again in your lifetime. I’m used to playing fast attacking football, so hopefully I can slot right in.
Fulham’s director of football operations, Tony Khan, added:
I’m pleased to announce that Fulham Football Club has signed Joe Bryan. Joe is a gifted young player, and we have seen first hand that he is a fierce competitor in our recent clashes against Bristol City in the Championship. He’s a promising addition to the squad, and we are excited to welcome Joe to the club.
Fulham have confirmed the signing of Sevilla goalkeeper Sergio Rico on a season-long loan.
The 24 year-old goalkeeper has made more than 170 appearances for Sevilla and has been capped by Spain at senior level. Fulham moved quickly to snap one of La Liga’s leading goalkeepers after Sevilla had signed Tomas Vaclik from Basel. The Spanish goalkeeper has won back-to-back Europa League titles with Sevilla and will battle with compatriot Fabri and Marcus Bettinelli for the number one shirt at Craven Cottage.
Rico told Fulham’s official website:
I’m very happy, really pleased to have signed for the oldest club in the Premier League. “I’m excited to start training, to meet all my teammates and, above all, to enjoy the season that starts this Saturday.
Fulham’s head of football operations, Tony Khan, said:
I’m excited to announce that Fulham Football Club has signed Sergio Rico on loan from Sevilla. Sergio is a world class goalkeeper, and thus, his services have been in great demand. Sergio joins a very talented cast of goalkeepers under contract at FFC, and he answers our mandate of making our squad the strongest and deepest it can be as we face top Premier League opposition. Come on Fulham!
Fulham are close to concluding a deal to sign Manchester United defender Timothy Fonsu-Murphy, according to Sky Sports News.
The versatile Dutch defender, who can play at centre back or right back as well as in defensive midfielder, had been expected to leave Old Trafford on loan this summer with a move to Hertha Berlin heavily mooted last week. Fonsu-Mensah, who has won three senior international caps for Holland, spent last season on loan at Crystal Palace, where he made 24 appearances in total as Roy Hodgson’s side successfully battled against the drop.
The move for Fosu-Mensah, who came through the Ajax youth academy before moving to Manchester United at the age of sixteen, seems to have come about after Fulham pulled out of a proposed deal to sign Martin Montoya. Fosu-Mensah, aged 20, will provide cover at centre back with new signing Alfie Mawson likely to miss the first month of the season as he recovers from knee surgery and Denis Odoi suspended for the opening two games, but is most likely to challenge Cyrus Christie for the right back spot at Craven Cottage.
The 6ft 3in defender has made 21 first-team appearances for Manchester United, with twelve of those coming in the Premier League, and has amassed Europa League experience as well. He has another two years to run on his current deal at Old Trafford.
Fulham are considering a loan deal for Atletico Madrid striker Lucas Vietto, according to a Daily Mail report this afternoon.
The Whites have been offered the chance to sign the Argentinian forward on a season-long loan deal, which could help facilitate the departure of Rui Fonte to Olympiakos. The 24 year-old has struggled to fit in at Atleti after starring for Villareal and was farmed out to Valencia last season.
Vietto was handed his professional breakthrough by current Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone, when the former Argentina midfielder was in charge of Racing Club. He scored 18 times in 63 appearances as a teenager and earned a 5.5m move to Villareal, where he scored 20 goals in a single season – and was named La Liga’s player of the month in December 2014. Vietto has struggled for game time at Atleti, despite being under Simeone’s wing again, scoring three times in 20 first-team appearances.
He impressed in a pre-season outing against Arsenal, where he was named man of the match in a 1-1 draw, and Fulham may view him as useful back up for Aleksandar Mitrovic. If Fonte is set to leave for Greece, as has been rumoured this evening, adding to Fulham’s attacking resources will be essential ahead of tonight’s 5pm transfer deadline. At the moment, only Aboubakar Kamara, Neeskens Kebano and the injured Floyd Ayite exist in the first-team squad as plausible options up front.
Valencia defender Martin Montoya has flown into London for a medical ahead of his proposed move to Fulham.
The former Barcelona defender is eager to play in the Premier League and has been allowed to leave Valencia after they brought in Cristiano Piccini from Sporting Lisbon last month. The 27 year-old missed Valencia’s training session this morning in order to make the journey to England, according to reports in the Spanish press.
Montoya is an attacking right back who came through the famed La Masia academy to win three league titles, two Copa del Rays and the Champions’ League in 2014/2015 with Barcelona. He was also part of the Spanish under-21 side that won back-to-back European Championships in 2011 and 2013 and was a regular in the first-team during his two years at Valencia. He made 62 appearances at the Mestella, scoring two goals and making seven assists, and is also versatile enough to play at left back as well.
Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has been seeking to augment his options at right back since Ryan Frdericks signed for West Ham on a free transfer earlier in the summer. He has been using academy graduates Marlon Fossey and Steven Sessegnon in rotation with Irish international Cyrus Christie for much of pre-season, but it looks as if the Premier League new boys are about to add some more defensive depth before the start of the new campaign.
Queens Park Rangers are eager to sign Marcus Bettinelli should the goalkeeper be allowed to leave Fulham following the arrival of Sergio Rico, according to the Daily Mail.
The former England under-21 international had an excellent second half of the season as Fulham went on a 23-match unbeaten run to win promotion via the Championship play-offs. Bettinelli kept a clean sheet as the Whites beat Aston Villa at Wembley, but he was swiftly usurped in the pecking order at Craven Cottage when Fulham brought in Spanish custodian Fabri from Besiktas.
The Fulham academy graduate looks set to slip further down the list of Slavisa Jokanovic’s goalkeeping options when Rico completes a loan move from Sevilla, which was widely trailed in the Spanish press yesterday. The 26 year-old, who signed a contract extension with the Whites last summer, has made 98 first-team appearances since making his Fulham debut in the League Cup win at Brentford in August 2014.
QPR are looking for an experienced Championship goalkeeper having sold Alex Smithies earlier this summer, although Bettinelli is also rumoured to be interesting Bristol City, who have previously offered him a loan route out of Craven Cottage when he was second choice to Button two years ago. The likeable goalkeeper has twice turned down a possible switch to Chelsea in order to compete for his place at Fulham and recently spoke of his excitement at the chance to play in the Premier League, but could be persuaded to move on for regular first-team football.
Olympiacos could be in line to offer Rui Fonte a deadline-day move away from Fulham, according to reports this morning.
The Greek club are discussing the possibility of a loan move or permanent deal for the Portuguese striker, who has struggled to make an impact in England since arriving from Braga last summer. Fulham have given Fonte permission to hold talks with Olympiacos just two days before their Premier League season kicks off against Crystal Palace on Saturday.
The 28 year-old came to Fulham with some fanfare after scoring fifteen goals to help Braga to a fifth-place finish, but struggled to replicate that form in the Championship – despite scoring on his second appearance for the Whites, in a 2-0 win at Ipswich Town. Fonte finished the season largely being utilised as a substitute by Slavisa Jokanovic with three goals in 28 appearances.
He has won 22 caps for Portugal, scoring eight times at senior international level, and won both the Portuguese League Cup and the Portuguese Cup during his time at Braga. The Evening Standard suggests that Fulham are stepping up their attempts to sign back up to Aleksandar Mitrovic as they prepare for Fonte’s possible departure. It is unlikely that the Londoners will receive anything close to the more than £8m they paid for Fonte last year.